2011 was a great year, starting with Uncle Jessie and ending with fireworks on South Beach! In between, I had a lot of fun but what I didn't do was really meet too many of my "goals" for the year. I completed one out of four...oops!
The funny thing is, many of my goals for 2011 just aren't even on my radar anymore. Even the one goal I did complete, getting back into running, was done in a way I didn't think it would be. I thought I'd be conquering new distances and running lots of races. In reality, I only did one race and I didn't conquer any new distances. After awhile I decided I really just didn't care and what I did care about was being able to run in beautiful places without worrying about injuries and that is what I had.
That being said, this year I am not going to make too many full year goals. Instead I am going to focus on monthly goals, which are much better for my short attention span. I am a firm believer in smaller goals that are manageable. It is still possible to meet bigger goals this way, they just need to be divided up into goals that can reasonably be completed in a month. So here are my January goals:
1. Read 4 books. In 2011 I managed to read 35 books. This year I set the goal to read 40 books! I know this is going to be hard for me as I think I did A LOT of reading in 2011 to get to 35 books. In order to do this I need to read 3.3 books a month. Since I'm already halfway through a book I started on vacation, I am going to try to read 4 books this month.
2. Get to yoga 4 times. I know this seems like a small goal, but considering I haven't attended a yoga class since sometime last summer, this will be a lot for me. I hope I can do it!
3. Run outside at least once a week. I admit I am terrible at cold weather running and it's about this time every year that I take a long winter break from running. Not going to do that this year, especially with my new winter running gear compliments of Santa.
4. Donate 2 full bags of clothes to Good Will. Though I really very rarely shop I still seem to be overflowing 2 closets with clothes (true story). I really do not have room for my new Christmas clothes. I mean, I could MAKE room but that is a bad idea. Must stop the hoarding cycle now!
5. Clean the inside of my car. I have a bad habit of living out of my car. It is currently filled with tutoring stuff, shoes and coats/sweatshirts. Sure, occasionally having all this crap in my car comes in handy, but usually it's just something to move out of the way when I want people in my car. So let's clean it out.
6. Try something new. I'm not sure what yet, I'll let you know when I do it!
I know that's a lot of goals, but I feel like they are all manageable. Here's to hoping I do better with these month-long goals than I did with my 2011 goals!
What are your goals for this month or this year?